Radford University recognizes its role as a leader in the community with regard to environmental policies and promotes responsible stewardship of the environmental resources under its influence. The overall purpose of this recycling policy is to set forth standards and organizational processes aimed at waste minimization, recycling, and the diversion of recyclable materials from landfills.
- Reduce waste at the source (Waste Minimization).
- Encourage the purchase and use of environmentally friendly products.
- Encourage the purchase of high post-consumer content recycled products.
- Increase the total volume of waste materials diverted from landfills to recycling processes.
- Ensure long term viability of campus recycling operations through coordination and managerial oversight.
- Promote recycling practices and procedures throughout the campus community.
- Comply with Federal and State mandates in recycling processes.
Waste minimization - to reduce the amount of waste generated
Recycling streams - sorted recyclable materials
Life-cycle cost - cost of a system or product over the entire lifespan
All departments that generate waste at Radford University should make waste minimization and recycling a top priority and an integral component of their daily operations. Each department shall consider the life-cycle costs and environmental aspects associated with purchases and are encouraged to purchase items with recycled content and minimal wastes and packaging as appropriate. Every employee and student has the responsibility to exercise these behaviors, making Radford University a more sustainable campus and helping to reduce our carbon footprint.
Every student, employee and department shall recycle materials as current recycling streams allow. Radford University recycling operations cover three main and various alternate recycling streams:
Main Recycling Streams:
- Mixed Paper
- Containers (Cans/Plastic/Glass)
Alternate Recycling Streams (include but are not limited to):
- Motor Oil
- Kitchen Grease
- Toner Cartridges
- Scrap Metal
- Reusable Construction Waste
- Electronic Waste