Exercise, Sport and Health Education 243
ESHE 243: Lifeguard Training
Prerequisites: Continuously swim 500 yards using crawl, breaststroke, elementary backstroke and sidestroke; tread water, surface dive and swim underwater 15 yards.
Credit Hours: (2) One hour lecture; two hours laboratory
Prepares individuals for the job of life guarding at pools and small lakes. American Red Cross certification is available for those who meet course requirements.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
Prepare individuals for the job of life guarding at pools and small lakes. American Red Cross certification is available for those who meet course requirements.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Course includes intensive conditioning swims and practice of specific rescue techniques. Lectures, videotapes, group discussion and problem solving sessions, written assignments and practice in responding to unannounced emergency scenarios are used to prepare students for the job of keeping people safe in the water.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
Upon completion of Lifeguard Training should be able to
1. Demonstrate proficiency in self survival skills and the swimming skills needed for various types of rescues.
2. Demonstrate effective use of aquatic rescue equipment.
3. Demonstrate proficiency in rescue techniques for an unconscious victim, an actively drowning victim and a tired swimmer.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of policies and practices needed to maintain a safe swimming environment at pools and waterfronts.
5. Demonstrate knowledge of pool operational procedures needed to maintain good water quality.
6. Demonstrate knowledge of group organizational and supervision techniques needed to maintain a safe aquatic facility.
7. Devise and implement an effective emergency plan for several types of facilities.
8. Be aware of Red Cross philosophy and procedures for pool supervision, and for certification and recertification as a lifeguard.
National Red Cross skill tests.
Other Course Information
Review and Approval
September 2002 Reviewed Jon Poole