DRO Hosts Disability Awareness Week
Radford University's Disability Resource Office (DRO) will celebrate Disability Awareness Week March 21-24.
The DRO will host a series of disability related discussions throughout the week to engage participants in conversation with our guest speakers and the DRO "Elephant in the Room." DRO Assistant Director Jennifer Scott said she hopes that participants will feel free to share thoughts they may be hesitant to bring up about life with a disability. The schedule will be:
- D/HOH Technology: Explore technology used by the deaf and hard of hearing. March 21, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the Bonnie Lobby.
- Overcome Yours & Elephant in the Room: Radford Alum Garrett Brumfield discusses his Overcome Yours Movement. March 22, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the Bonnie Lobby.
- Elephant in the Room discussion with Justin Graves: Justin Graves, founder of HESONWHEELS.com, shares his experience of living in a wheelchair and discusses confronting the "Elephant in the Room." March 23, noon – 1 p.m. in the Bonnie Combo room.
- Using Inclusion to Foster Campus Community: Graves discusses how inclusion can improve our campus environment. March 23, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. in the Bonnie Auditorium.
- Elephant in the Room: Last chance for discussion with the "Elephant in the Room" and there will be giveaways! March 24, 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. in the Bonnie Lobby.
- Veterans Living with Disabilities: Campus and community military veterans living with disabilities share their experiences and dispel myths about living with disabilities. March 24, 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the Bonnie Combo room.
Scott said she hopes the week will raise awareness and inform students about disabilities.
"There are students struggling with anxiety and ADHD, disabilities that aren’t visible to the eye. We really hope to engage students in talking about these issues and addressing any questions they might have," said Scott.
For more information, call the DRO at 831-6350 or visit its website.