RU undergraduate research projects get Hollywood treatment at SC.O.R.E. film festival
The Radford University scientific research community will roll out the red carpet at the inaugural Scholarly Outreach and Research Engagement (SC.O.R.E.) Film Festival April 25 at the Radford Theatre.
The film festival will also feature the inaugural Science Café, sponsored by the RU chapter of Sigma Xi, and be moderated by the students from the BIOL 460 "Science and Society" class.
The Sigma Xi Science Café will precede the screenings and consist of a student-led science trivia contest with prizes, beginning at 11 a.m. The films will roll at noon and admission is free.
Among the researchers and their research-in-action projects featured on the big screen will be:
- Matti Hamed's "Herpetological Ecology" or the joy of reptiles and amphibians
- Dan Metz's "Adventures in Parasitism"
- Angel Lambert's "Studying Fullerenes" or how art and science can mix
- Keela Dooley's "Raising a Teapot" or how to go about turning a simple disc of sterling silver into something meaningful and beautiful
- Monca Kaur and Caitlin Linville's "VAAM'" about the effects of mixing amino acids found in Japanese giant hornets on exercise endurance and other consequences
- Cassie Bonavita's "Researching Mosquitos" and viral epidemiology
- Luna Brett's "Arctic Research"
Others presenting are:
- Will Dowd – Geospatial Science
- Erin Dudley - Biology
- Emily Guise - Biology
- Kimmie Hudson – Health and Human Performance
- Renee Jessee - Biology
- April Tingle - Biology
SC.O.R.E. assists undergraduate students from all academic disciplines in developing and producing multimedia products that showcase their original scholarship and research.
Sigma Xi is a 125-year-old international scientific organization of scientists and engineers, whose research spans the disciplines of science and technology. Today, Sigma Xi has nearly 60,000 members in more than 500 chapters in the United States, Canada and other countries, including Switzerland, Thailand, Lebanon, New Zealand and Australia. More than 200 Nobel Prize winners have been Sigma Xi members. RU's chapter began in 2014.